Avenida Rio Salado/Broadway Road is an $84 million city of Phoenix street improvement project, that is primarily federally funded. The project spans between 51st Avenue and Seventh Street and includes intersection improvements, roadway widening and extension, sidewalks, bicycle lanes, landscaping and street lighting.
The project improvements will be constructed in two phases. Limits for each phase can be viewed on the map below.
Phase Two Improvements Currently Under Construction:
The design and construction funds for Phase Two have been allocated in the 5-year Capital Improvement Program (CIP). We are pleased to announce the construction for the roadway improvement project, ARS- Avenida Rio Salado/ Broadway Road Phase Two, was awarded to Combs Construction Company, Inc. and began June 2017 with a projected completion in Spring 2019. Below are the Phase TWO improvements categorized by segment.
- Segment 1: Seventh Avenue and Seventh Street Intersections includes full intersection improvements, underground utility installation (water, storm drain), ADA ramps, and traffic signals.
- Segment 4: 43rd to 35th Avenues includes widening of roadway, full build out of six-lane arterial (3 lanes in each direction), overhead to underground utility conversion, underground utility installation (water, storm drain), landscaping, curb, gutter, and street lighting.
- Segment 5: 51st to 43rd Avenues includes full build out of the south half of the roadway to include three lanes in each direction with a center median/turn lane, bike lane, curb, gutters, sidewalks, street lighting, landscaping, and medians on 51st Avenue.
Phase One Improvements:
- All Segments: Right-of-way acquisition for all segments of the project from Seventh Street to 51st Avenue
- Segment 1: Central Avenue and 15th Avenue Intersections includes underground utility installation (water, storm drain), installation of bus bay, ADA ramps and traffic signal
- Segment 2 and 3: 35th to 17th Avenues includes overhead to underground utility conversion, underground utility installation (water, storm drain), full build out of six-lane arterial (3 lanes in each direction), landscaping, flush median, curb, gutter, ADA ramps, street lighting, sidewalk and traffic signals
- Segment 5: 51st to 43rd Avenues includes construction of new roadway north side of Broadway Road with two lanes of traffic and center turn lane, curb, gutter, lighting and sidewalk and new traffic signal. The north side improvements in Segment 5 from 51st to 43rd Avenues have been completed. Prior to opening the roadway the following conditions must be met:
- Coordination with city and county jurisdictions
- Utility relocations
- Installation of permanent fencing at Vulcan
- Construction of 43rd Avenue transition and the intersection
- Build out of roadway and connection to Segment 5
Construction is currently underway in Segment 2: 27th to 17th Avenues and Segment 3: 35th to 27th Avenues and estimated to be substantially completed by the end of February 2017.
Kiewit, the Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR), will construct the project in phases to minimize the duration of construction and reduce inconvenience to area residents and businesses. The city and Kiewit will do its best to minimize impacts to area residents, motorists and local businesses during construction.
GCI, the public information consultant for the project, will keep community business owners and residents apprised of construction activities via the project website at avenidariosalado.com. A 24-hour project hotline is also available to provide immediate access to a project representative at 623-825-3444.